Kitchen Ecology

This blog is an account of my efforts to implement Kitchen Ecology; strictly speaking "Local Ecology for the Cold-Climate Apartment Dweller", by which is meant "Stuff that anyone can do, if I can do it"! Please visit SUFE

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Finishing Chest 3

Meanwhile, back at the ranch ...

A few more weeks have passed. I have tipped the bin again. The contents are almost completely digested. The shredded paper is almost gone.

The remainder is a sticky clayey mass - the contents are still overloaded with moisture.

My guess is that I could set aside the clay, fill the bin with shredded paper, and let it run for another two months. It won't begin to freeze solid until late December, if then.

Here is the chest tipped up. You can see some of the shredded paper poking up through the mass. Quality Control has been, seen, and is bored:

Here is a view of the mass. Worms are scurrying away, but I can see that they are fat and healthy. Eggs are scattered across the surface and throughout the mass!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home