Kitchen Ecology

This blog is an account of my efforts to implement Kitchen Ecology; strictly speaking "Local Ecology for the Cold-Climate Apartment Dweller", by which is meant "Stuff that anyone can do, if I can do it"! Please visit SUFE

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Shredded Paper

This year'’s CICO project is to vermicompost the paper that arrives in my apartment.

Here is this weekend'’s effort.

I have been straining pasta water into my tank, so there is a rich stew of bacteria within. Frankly, it is beginning to smell, so I would like to dispose of the water and start afresh.

I place a rectangular sieve inside an old refrigerator drawer.

I tip a waste bucket of shredded paper in the sieve.

I hose from the water tank over the paper and leave it to soak for about an hour.

Finally, I tip it to drain back into the drawer for five minutes, and consign the damp paper to the tower vermicomposter.

I repeat the process until all the water has been transferred (and a lot of paper shredded!).

The worms get a rich source of nutrients in their fresh bedding.

The tower vermicomposter is not overloaded with water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home