Kitchen Ecology

This blog is an account of my efforts to implement Kitchen Ecology; strictly speaking "Local Ecology for the Cold-Climate Apartment Dweller", by which is meant "Stuff that anyone can do, if I can do it"! Please visit SUFE

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Monitoring The Balcony Vermicomposter

To see the images, visit one of my SUFE pages at http://www.chrisgreaves.com/blogkitchen/TaperedVermicomposter.html

I generally place a cover of a plastic bag over the tower vermicomposters when they are out doors to retard the loss of moisture.

Imagine my delight today to find that the plastic bags act as water pumps! Here i’s how it works:

Moisture evaporates from the heap and hits the plastic bag which is held in place with a length of wood and a house brick.

There being a slight sag in the bag, during the cooler night the moisture condenses on the underside of the bag and drips back into the heap.

It seems like a good thing ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home